It's Everywhere!

If you think human trafficking only happens in third world countries, you are wrong. Houston is one of the biggest hubs for getting women and children into the United States to be exploited.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

So close... but it feels so far away...

Today started really early for me.  I was actually the first one to get down to the breakfast.  That was cool, because I got the first pick of everything.  I even left out before daylight.  I felt really good when I left out of the hotel.  I even decided to leave my "body guard" behind so she could take care of some computer stuff and finish packing the bags. 


Almost my bathroom

Woody's

I walked for about two hours, then realized, I had to go to the bathroom....  I now believe there should be a bathroom every mile on the highway.  I was again wondering where I was going to find a bathroom when I was rescued.  It was nice knowing that I had such a close call, but I didn't have to use the shack that I found.  

I have to say, it was a really cool place that we stopped at.  Nothing like getting some fresh buffalo jerkey to eat as a after breakfast snack, then I got a bite of walnut fudge to top it all off. 

I took off again and spent many hours walking.  I got encouraging calls from many people, making my morning even better.  Kathy followed me by the side road, until the side road ran out.  I thought it was quite humorous to watch her look at me as I walked off.  Not quite as funny as seeing her traipsing through the grass trying to find a tube of grease that I threw to her.  She didn't find it, but she got a little eaten up by the grass that attacked her.  I did learn a big lesson.  I had her come back to the main road so I could change a bandage on my foot and I did not watch where I was standing or sat my backpack.  Let's just say, ants are not my friends.  I think I spent the next fifteen minutes finding ants crawling on me. 

Kathy went up a couple of miles and waited for me in the picnic area.  I guess I was really getting tired when she left me, because it took me a long time to get to her.  By the time I got to her, I was so tired that I felt like my body was falling apart. 

This is me....  when Kathy forced me in the car to go get something to eat.  I was so tired that I literally could not get up. 

We ended up at Taco Bell where I had a couple of five layer burritos and got to just sit for a bit.  Then we were so excited about finding a WalMart, we went shopping.  Actually, I needed more sunscreen, so powder, some more Icy Hot and really wanted to have a rasor when I stopped for the night.  We went to the smallest WalMart I have seen in years.  Did you know they still have just plain WalMarts...  not super WalMarts... well, now you do. 


RED BULL!

Good to the last drop!
Kathy took me back to the road, but I had her stop at the gas station for a few minutes so I could get some ice for my camelback.  I found something really cool...  I discovered Red Bull!  I now know why Pastor Mark loves his Red Bull. 


Now, to get the VMusic going!

A few items that I found along the way.  I guess this just brings back lots of memories...  my days driving up and down the road, delivering oilfield tools. 

By the way, did you know that if you drink a full camelback of water with G2 powder in it, while walking, you tend to get really ansy to find a bathroom.  I can't win for losing... either a drink to keep from getting dehydrated or I don't drink. 

Oklahoma take notice...  this is what a really good rest stop looks like.  Even has monitored cameras to keep everyone safe. 

Texas rest area

I know this blog is not as interesting as the others, but today was just a hard day for me.  I was ready to stop walking within a few hours, but hung in there so I could make up some miles.  I did figure out why nobody offered to pick me up and take me to Houston...  Huntsville, Tx is where the largest prison in Texas is located and there are signs everywhere that say, "Don't pick up hitch hikers"  Oh well, I guess I looked like an inmate trying to make my way to the prison. 

All is well.  I finally got the icecream that Jack kept eating for me. I couldn't decide which one I wanted, so I had both. 

1 comment:

  1. Discovered Woody's this summer on the way to Beaumont. HAD to stop there on the way back too. Awesome jerky and bought all the kolaches they had.

    Cheryl Bond

    ReplyDelete