It's Everywhere!

If you think human trafficking only happens in third world countries, you are wrong. Houston is one of the biggest hubs for getting women and children into the United States to be exploited.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

End of the day report... It's been a good day..

So, here is the scoop...  I left Dairy Queen and headed toward the great town of Denton. 

I guess I must have gotten someone's attention with my walk, because I met with a little resistance while I was walking.  The great thing about that, is that I have friends in high places, low places and in between too, so my friends in high places decided to step up and make sure I was never far from a watchful eye.  Thanks to my friends the Texas State Police.  Although, I do think the people getting pulled over left and right for speeding were not too happy about it.  Oh well, win-win situation for me and my new friends...  cars slowed down and the State of Texas made a little more money today. 

I stopped at a very large truck stop today, just north of Denton.  I stayed around there for a bit and talked to tons of people.  I passed out quite a few cards and started asking people if they knew anything about human trafficking.  Out of the 25 I asked, only 4 knew what it was and knew that it was a problem in the United States.  This is why I am walking.  More people need to be aware of the problem.  Some of the folks I talked to were totally shocked and appalled by even the thought of it happening. 

I called Kathy to see when she would be heading this way and she told me that someone was arranging for me a hotel and that she would get back to me as soon as she could on where it was.  (Side Note:  I thought Kathy was coming tonight, but she was only saying that, to keep me from knowing what was really going on.  She even had to turn down an offer for someone to put me up in a motel because another friend had already made plans for me.)  So, here I am waiting at the TA for Kathy to tell me where to start walking to, when she calls and leads me to believe that one person had us a room at the Comfort Inn. 

I headed out, knowing that I only had a few miles to go to get there.  When I walked in the door of the hotel, a young lady at the desk said, "You must be Ken Kelly."  I asked her how she knew and she said, "Well, you look like you have been walking all day."  She then proceeded to tell me about the hot tub, the pool, the breakfast and that the hot tub would probably be great to soak my knee in.  I was trying to figure out who told her about my knee, so I even tried to bribe her to tell me who paid for the hotel. 

About ten minutes after getting to the room and taking a shower, I got a message from Kathy.  I am sorry, he made me do it.  I love you.  Next thing I know, someone is knocking on the door.  I was thinking, okay, Jack, my friend, ordered me pizza because he knows Kathy doesn't like pizza.  So, I answered the door and the young lady from the front desk hands me a bathing suit, smiles and says, "I bet you feel better now that you have had a shower.  There is a man waiting in the hot tub for you."  I sat there for a minute with my mouth open and then I asked, "Do you know who it is?"  She said yes, then walked away with a big grin on her face.  I stepped out of the room, and told her... "This isn't what it seems... I'm married."  She just smiled.


Hey Ken, how do you work this thing? Oh guess that's how.
 So, I put on the suit, and head down to the hot tub, which was exactly what I really wanted to do.  I found this guy waiting there for me.  I love my friends and the things they will do just to help me when I am facing my giants! 

We soaked for a while then Jack told me to get dressed.   We met his sister and brother in law at Pizza Inn and they bought me pizza!  I was so excited.  I haven't had fresh pizza two days in a row in many years.  I love pizza!  Greg and Lori were great company and I am so thankful to all of you guys who have helped me along the way.  I think I have eaten better on this walk than I do normally. 

All in all, I think my day turned out really well.  Knee is still a little swollen, and hurting, but God is seeing me through it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment