It's Everywhere!

If you think human trafficking only happens in third world countries, you are wrong. Houston is one of the biggest hubs for getting women and children into the United States to be exploited.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Houston! It just seems like yesterday I was in Oklahoma... NOT

Did anyone know that Huntsville is one big prison?  Well, actually I saw at least three different Huntsville Prisons.  I am not sure if I should have been hiking through there or not.  I did have a great reception at the hotel I stayed in.  I figured they would take one look at me and think...  "this guy might be one of the escapees.." 

I had to make my way through tons of construction today, so I had lots of help from Kathy because it was just too dangerous for me to try to get through it all.  Many of the roads didn't have any side roads to walk on either, so that made it even more important for Kathy to let me back in the car.  She was not going to allow me, until she drove the road and realized just how close I would be to the traffic. 

I went past the giant statue of Sam Houston...  still sort of creeps me out that someone would want to have a giant statue looking over them when they sleep.  I have to admit, Kathy and I jumped in the car and went backwards to the statue, so we could see the little, and I mean little, museum.  The pictures will have to be posted later because they won't load.

After walking for a while...  I began thinking...  it sure would be nice to find a bathroom.  Here is the closest thing I found...  not sure which would be better...  using the shack or going to the Sam Houston National Forest.  I did see a picnic area, but that doesn't do any good, since there are no facilities. 

As I got closer to Conroe, it was quite evident that there was no way that I would be able to walk on the road.  I have never seen so much construction anywhere.  Oh wait, I live in Oklahoma, there is no such thing as a road without construction. 

Somewhere between Conroe and Houston, it started raining, so I will admit, today was a short day.  I don't think I could have walked through the construction, with all the traffic, in the rain.  Kathy was stressed about it all too, so I gave in to her and I climbed in the car for my final miles to the hotel.  Tomorrow, I will walk down the road that leads to George Bush Intercontinental Airport.  I will be at the welcome sign at Lee and Will Clayton prkwy at 10:00 a.m. 

Then, Kathy will take me to Hobby Airport and she will head home, in the car.  I will be flying home, thanks to some great people, Terry and Cheryl Bond!  Thanks so much!  I really, really appreciate you letting me have your frequent flyer miles!  I will be leaving out around 5:10 and be home at 6:25.  Kathy will be driving so I will be getting home a few hours before her.  Do me a favor, keep her in your prayers for safe travel.  Thanks! 

I will have a few more posts to this, because I have some reflections to make, not to mention lessons I learned and a message for the men who tried to intimidate me with their threats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment